2018 August Parent Letter
August 2018 Parent Letter
Dear Bailey’s Elementary School for the Arts and Sciences Families,
Happy summer! We hope you are enjoying the time with your children. We are a community of learners committed to empowering students to reach their highest potential by becoming active, lifelong learners who are caring and contributing community members. Included in this letter are school related items as we begin the upcoming school year.
The first day of school is Tuesday, August 28, 2018 and our school hours for students are 8:45 a.m. until 3:40 p.m.
Student Class Assignments
You will receive a letter during the week of August 20 with your child’s teacher and room assignment. Bring this letter to open house and the first day of school to locate your child’s teacher and room number.
NEW THIS YEAR! **Combined Open House and Back to School Night** - Thursday, August 23 at 9:00 a.m.
A Combined Open House/Back to School Night is Thursday, August 23 at 9:00 a.m. You are encouraged to bring your child’s school supplies to open house on Thursday. Parents and students are invited to visit the school, meet their classroom teachers, listen to the teacher presentation, bring school supplies, deposit money into lunch accounts, get information about bus times, and get a Kiss and Ride number. School supplies ordered online through the PTA will be delivered to your child’s classroom.
Combined Open House/Back to School Night Schedule – Thursday August 23, 9:00 a.m.
- 9:00 – 9:20 – School is open and information tables on front lawn
- 9:20 - 9:50 – Back to School Teacher Presentations (in your child’s homeroom class)
- 9:50-10:00 - Transition
- 10:00-10:25 - Teacher Presentation 2 (teachers will repeat their presentation)
- 10:25-11:00 - Goodbye and popsicles on the front lawn
School Supply Lists
School Supply lists are posted on our website https://baileyses.fcps.edu/index.php/resources/school-supplies
Breakfast and Lunch
The price for a lunch is $3.00 including milk and breakfast is free. All students receive a free breakfast in the classroom. Students can bring lunch from home. Soft drinks and fast food are not allowed in school. To pay for school lunch you can deposit money into your child’s lunch account during Open House, send a check the first day of school (payable to Bailey’s Elementary School), or pay online at www.myschoolbucks.com. Breakfast and lunch menus are available online. http://www.fcps.edu/fs/food/food_at_school/
Free and Reduced Price Status – Applications were mailed home and are available online and in our front office. Students eligible for free or reduced priced meals will continue to receive these benefits until October 10, 2018. New applications must be received and eligibility approved to continue after October 10.
Home and School Communication
We have a variety of methods for communication. First and foremost, a weekly News You Choose email will be sent to you each Friday. Keep in Touch will be used for any emergency or timely messages. It will be very important for each family to enroll in SIS Parent Account online tool. We also send home communication folders on Thursdays. News and events will be posted on our school website.
Parent Teacher Association (PTA)
We greatly appreciate the support we receive from our PTA. All parents are encouraged to volunteer and attend events and meetings sponsored by our PTA. Because of our PTA we are able to purchase books, technology, and supplies for our students; students can go on field trips; and fun events are planned for our families!
Student Arrival and Dismissal
- The doors open at 8:45 a.m. and all students must be in the classroom at 8:55 a.m. At 8:55 a.m. the tardy/late bell will ring. No child should arrive at Bailey’s prior to 8:45 a.m. Students who arrive after 8:55 a.m. are considered tardy and must be accompanied into the office by a parent or guardian.
- Students are dismissed between 3:35 and 3:40 p.m. depending on how they go home in the afternoon.
- There is no parent parking in school parking lots during arrival and dismissal. We encourage you to walk, stay in your car and drop your child off at Kiss and Ride, or have your child ride the school bus (if available).
- Bike Riders –Bailey’s students who are in a walking area are allowed to ride their bikes to/from school. If you decide to allow your child to ride a bike, please review a safe bike route, ensure they wear a helmet, and know how to lock their bike on a bike rack. Our bike rack is located at the side of school by the front office. Bailey’s is not responsible for stolen bikes.
- Walkers –Bailey’s students who live in a walking area are encouraged to walk to/from school.
- Bus Riders – Depending on where you live, a school bus will pick up/drop off your child. Review the bus stop and number with your child so they board the correct bus and get off the bus at the right stop. The bus stops will be available during Open House on August 23. Please report to the bus stop five minutes early.
- Kiss and Ride – Kiss and Ride is used when you are driving to Bailey’s and dropping off or picking up your child. The Kiss and Ride area is located in the side parking lot. You drive up and drop off/pick up your child. Parents using Kiss and Ride are asked to use a Kiss and Ride tag with a number that is assigned to your child. You can get a Kiss and Ride tag/number during Open House, by completing this online form: https://goo.gl/forms/0F4b910pqZV5U3013, or on the first day of school while in the Kiss and Ride line. Kiss and Ride tags do not need to be used in the morning. If you forget your tag in the afternoon, you can still use Kiss and Ride, just tell the staff member your number or who you are picking up. When entering Kiss and Ride you must turn Right from Knollwood.
- On the first day of school, parents are welcome to walk their child to the classroom. Starting on the second day, only students will be allowed to enter the school building in the morning (this is for the safety and security of all students – when we have too many parents, children without parents are overwhelmed and can get lost in the crowds). We will have additional staff in the hallways and at the doors to make sure your child gets to the right classroom.
- Students are dismissed beginning at 3:35 p.m. Walkers will meet on the field. Each class has a designated area on the field. All parents must wait at the class assigned area for the teacher to release the child.
Emergency Care Cards
The emergency care card will mailed to your home with the class placement letter during the week of August 20. Please return the form at Open House/Back to School on Thursday, August 23 or the first day of school. Returning FCPS students will receive a pre-printed form. Please update any information by crossing out incorrect information and replacing it with the correct information. If no information has changed, just sign and return the form. All forms must be returned by August 31.
Birthday Celebrations and Party Invitations
Students are only allowed to bring in a healthy snack (fruit snacks, pretzels, raisins, granola bars) or a small token (pencils, erasers) for each student in celebration of their birthday. Cupcakes, birthday cakes, ice cream, and balloons are not allowed to be brought in and passed out at school in celebration of student’s birthdays. All birthday treats will distributed during lunch in the cafeteria. Party invitations to the entire class may be distributed during the school day. Invitations to select students must be delivered outside of school.
Call the Attendance Line at 703-575-6845 by 9:15 a.m. when your child is absent from school. The Commonwealth of Virginia mandatory school attendance laws will be strictly enforced. Parents will be held accountable for students who do not attend school regularly and on time. Please note: extended family vacations are not excused absences.
We look forward to working with each of you as we continue to build on the strong foundation and immense success of Bailey’s Elementary School for the Arts and Sciences. If you have any questions, feel free to call (703-575-6800), send an email (firstname.lastname@example.org), or stop by school. We are going to have great year!
See you soon!
Dr. Julie Easa
Mr. Ted Cooper
Ms. Teresa Davis